Eye exam frequency depends on age, health status and whether you are a contact lens wearer. In general…
- A child’s first eye exam should be at the age of six months and then a second exam should be completed between the ages of 2 and 5.
- Exams should be annually during school years until the age of 19
- Healthy patients aged 19-64 should be seen at least once every two years
- Seniors age 65+ should be seen annually as they are higher risk for eye disease
- Contact lens wearers of any age, are to be seen on an annual basis
- Patients with certain systemic or ocular disease, on certain medications or with elevated risk factors are often recommended a more frequent recall. This is determined after discussion with your doctor.